The Winnipeg Arts Council is a not-for-profit corporation at arm’s
length from the City of Winnipeg, funded by an allocation from the
City’s general revenues and entertainment taxes. The Public Art Program
is funded through the City’s Capital Budget.
The Corporation is an independent not-for-profit Corporation, created
and mandated by the City to carry out the objects stipulated in its
Articles of Incorporation by undertaking the following
- managing and carrying out the City’s arts and cultural
funding programs, exercising final arm’s length authority to approve
and issuing cultural grants;
- presenting for approval to the
Standing Policy Committee on Protection and Community Services, a three
(3) year Arts and Culture Business Plan to be adopted on an annual
- managing a conditional grant from the City designated to fund the approved programs;
- advising the City on cultural policy;
- exploring partnerships and initiatives with other funding bodies, foundations and other groups;
- presenting to the City an Annual Report and an Audited Financial Statement;
- developing and maintaining a cooperative relationship with all City departments and staff working in cultural areas.
- managing and administering the City’s Public Art Policy and Program
The Winnipeg Arts Council funds, supports, and fosters development of the arts on behalf of the people of Winnipeg.
Winnipeg is a creative city, where art is integrated into all people’s
lives. All people have access to the arts, are able to participate in
the arts, value the arts, and are enriched by the arts.
- The arts are essential to a vibrant and healthy community
- Artistic excellence and diversity of expression are imperative
- Grant making is based on a fair and equitable process of peer assessment
- Integrity, transparency, accountability and ethical practice is mandatory
The Winnipeg Arts Council will be driven by fulfillment of its Mission
through four overall goals for the 2007 - 2009 period. These goals are:
- To foster development of the arts in the community
- To conduct ongoing Program Review
- To practice excellent governance and financial sustainability
- To develop a plan for future growth and opportunities